Suspended Latrobe therapist charged with sex charges wants 7 trials over allegations raised by 10 former clients

0

A suspended mental health therapist wants seven separate juries to hear testimony from 10 former patients who say they were sexually assaulted, harassed, groped or subjected to other inappropriate behavior during counseling sessions over the past decade .

Gregory P. Miscik, 60, of Latrobe was first charged in November 2020 after a 15-year-old girl claimed that two years earlier he had paid her $60 to view three nude self-portraits stored on his digital camera. Police said nine additional accusers came forward in the following months, including one who claimed she was raped by Miscik in 2011.

In total, Miscik faces 43 counts in seven separate criminal cases. Police charged Miscik with rape, sexual assault, promoting prostitution, human trafficking, possession of child pornography and harassment.

Prosecutors consolidated the cases against Miscik, all of which are scheduled for trial in April before Judge Tim Krieger of the Westmoreland County Court of Common Pleas.

In court on Monday, defense attorney Tim Andrews argued that the allegations raised in each of the criminal cases were sufficiently independent of the others, meriting separate trials.

“Separation (of business) is not about what makes it easier for them (to carry on). It’s a common pattern or relevance,” Andrews said.

Prosecutors said the accusers, some of whom were minors and had been counseled by Miscik, came forward over the past year and described similar dealings and conduct with the man they saw for therapy sessions.

Assistant District Attorney Anthony Iannamorelli described Miscik’s behavior with his patients as a progression of bad behavior that began with harassment and requests to view illicit images and extended to sexual assault.

“When presented in court, you will see a common pattern. He goes further with some victims than with others,” Iannamorelli said.

Miscik denied the allegations. His therapist license was suspended after the first criminal charges were filed against him in November 2020. He remains free on bail pending trial.

The judge on Monday ordered attorneys to submit legal arguments within the next 40 days and the trial will likely be delayed pending a decision on whether the cases will be tried together before a single jury.

Rich Cholodofsky is a staff writer for Tribune-Review. You can contact Rich at 724-830-6293, [email protected] or via Twitter .

Share.

Comments are closed.